Background and objectives:
In the past decade, the Government of Chad has undertaken numerous efforts to improve urban development and housing conditions, including: the preparation of Urban Development Plans for N’Djamena and several other cities; the formulation and adoption of a National Housing Strategy and the formulation of a National Poverty Reduction Strategy in 2002.
The main objective of the project is to expand the results achieved in 2007 during Phase 1.
The main activities include:
- Assistance for the allocation of 960 serviced plots and 100 houses to beneficiaries
- Producing 500 serviced plots in N’djamena and 500 in Doba
- Preparation of master plan for two secondary cities to be selected.
- Improving housing conditions of 23,000 slum dwellers in N’Djamena by providing access to land, water and sanitation.
- Developing micro-credit facilities for housing construction and shelter improvement activities for low-income families.
- Strengthening urban planning and management capacities of staff reinforcement from central and local government institutions, as well as at NGOs and CBOs
- Assisting the set-up of new institutional mechanisms such as PROVITHAS (provider of serviced plots) and FPHS (provider of housing financing credits).
- Feasibility studies on prioritized projects/programmes for urban investments.
The following results have been achieved so far:
- Economic and social studies including slum dwellers for the Madjorio slum upgrading programme finalized;
- Bidding documents processed for Madjorio slum upgrading programmes in order to select contractors.
- Sensitization and slum dwellers identification of Madjorio.
- Bidding documents processed for Doba site development.
- Staff from central and municipal administration trained.
- SOPROFIM legally established.